Plane crash; Falmouth single-car accident; Hyannis apartment fire; Harwich crash; Fog affects morning commute

Student pilot, instructor walk away from plane crash

A student pilot and his instructor walked away from this plane crash on Willow Street.
- A student pilot and his instructor were able to walk away after their plane crashed short of the runway at Barnstable Municipal Airport early Wednesday afternoon.

The plane, a Piper PA-28-140 single-engine, two-seater came to rest on the shoulder of Willow Street across from the NStar plant.

No cars were hit but authorities closed down the major artery into Hyannis forcing traffic to navigate the Route 132 construction zone to get to exit 6.

The Federal Aviation Administration and the Massachusetts Aeronautical Commision are investigating the cause of the crash. Reports at the scene indicated the plane apparently lost power while on approach to the airport.

Top right, the student pilot, 38-year-old David A. McCrossin of Dennis, explains what happened to State Police. Bottom right, the instructor, 23-year-old  Christopher Tarozzi of Centerville talks to a State Police Sergeant. (Photos by Frank Paparo). 

 West Main Street Hyannis apartment fire
   Hyannis and COMM firemen on the scene of an apartment fire Wednesday morning.
hyannisfire111407b_350HYANNIS - The Hyannis and COMM (Centerville-Osterville-Marstons Mills) Fire Departments and the Barnstable Police Department responded to a call of a fire at 9 a.m. Wednesday at an apartment building at 411 West Main Street in Hyannis, across from LaFrance Avenue.

The fire in apartment 4 was put out in 15 minutes and there were no injuries.  A neighbor commented that had the fire occurred in the late night or early morning, the outcome could have been very different.

The Hyannis Fire Department also examined the charred ashes of some belongings on a table outside the complex with one resident looking on to see what could have caused the fire. Investigators believe an electrical problem caused the fire. (Story and photos by Frank Paparo). 

Falmouth single-vehicle crash
   Single-car crash in Falmouth Wednesday morning.
falmouth111407b_300FALMOUTH - A single-vehicle motor vehicle crash occurred at 9:10 a.m. on Blacksmith Shop Road in Falmouth Wednesday near the town disposal site.

A BMW coupe slid off the road just beyond a curve, coming to rest on a small boulder and hitting several trees.

Although there was considerable damage to the front of the BMW, the 20- to 30-year-old male driver, the lone occupant in the vehicle, appeared to receive only minor injuries and was transported priority 3 to Falmouth Hospital by Falmouth Fire/Rescue.

The crash is under investigation by the Falmouth Police Department. The roads in the area were very slick at the time, especially  in a shaded area that had not had time to dry after earlier misty rain. The wet road appeared to contribute to the accident.

Drivers should be reminded at this time of the year that roads can become slick overnight and remain dangerous later into the day. (Story and photos by C. Eric Tinglof)

Two injured in Harwich crash

Two people were injured in a rear-end collision in Harwich Wednesday morning.
HARWICH - Around 8:45 a.m. Wednesday a two-vehicle crash caused traffic delays in both directions of Route 39 near John Joseph Road. Anne Haggerty of Chatham was stopped at a construction roadblock in her Toyota Sienna when 18-year-old Deanna Degrace of Yarmouth driving a maroon Toyota Camry apparently crashed into the back of Ms. Haggerty's vehicle.

Both women were transported to Cape Cod Hospital with unknown injuries. At right Harwich Fire Captain Kent Farrenkoph gives aid to Ms. Haggerty at crash scene. (Story & photos by Jake O'Callaghan).

Fog possible cause of crash during morning commute
- Police are investigating a crash  in Yarmouth that seriously injured one person. Just after 7 a.m.  Wednesday a Toyota Corolla and a small school bus collided on Station Avenue at the exit 8 ramp to Route 6. The driver of the Toyota was taken to CCH with injuries that were not believed to be life threatening. There were no students on the bus which was reportedly out of the Cape Cod Tech school in Harwich.

Editors note: The following story and attached photo are submitted as a public service offering in good humor-TC:
Brazen Daylight Robbery Foiled at Dennis Fire Department

The Yarmouth bench and the Yarmouth gnome (don't ask) sit atop the real Dennis bench on left and fake Dennis bench on right at Dennis Fire headquarters.
- A baseball team has its bench coach; a football team has its bench warmer; and the Dennis and Yarmouth Fire Departments have their "Bench War." On Tuesday afternoon, a new skirmish broke out in this long-running feud as an unnamed Yarmouth probationary firefighter attempted to reclaim the Y.F.D. bench from Dennis fire headquarters.

Reports from the scene indicate that he almost succeeded in his brazen daylight robbery but was spotted fleeing the station out a back door. A fleet-footed Dennis firefighter chased the culprit down and wrested the bench from his grasp. Dennis fire officials term the attempted robbery an "utter failure."

As far as anyone knows, the "Bench War" has been waged since July of 1972 when Dennis stole the Yarmouth bench - crafted by Yarmouth Capt. Herbert Hughes in 1969 - from outside the Yarmouth headquarters. A comprehensive article by Hilary Russ published in the Cape Cod Times in September, 2006, chronicles the back-and-forth of the Yarmouth bench and the creation of both a giant bench -- destroyed in a construction mishap -- and a miniature bench.

In an attempt to broker a cease-fire, Yarmouth built a bench for Dennis and presented it to the D.F.D at a joint Christmas party in 1996. Any cessation in hostilities was short-lived. The two benches changed hands multiple times over the ensuing decade.

A new chapter in the saga was written in 2005 when the YFD was in possession of the real Dennis bench. They constructed a fake Dennis bench to trick the D.F.D. Falling for the ruse, a crew from Dennis rescued the bench from the roof of a derelict building along the Bass River. Imagine their chagrin when they realized that they'd been spoofed.

As recently as two weeks ago, the fake Dennis bench sat wired to the roof peak of YFD headquarters where it had rested for many months. The DFD succeeded in removing it and -- striking yet another blow -- also liberated the real Dennis bench from its resting place above the Yarmouth tower ladder last week.

So now the score stands 3 to 0 with Dennis in possession of the Yarmouth bench, the real Dennis bench, and the fake Dennis bench. How long this state of affairs will hold is anyone's guess.

(Story and photo by Dennis Gnome)

seepreviousreport welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on