Boston-area households spend nearly twice the U.S. average on alcohol

Boston-area household spending 28 percent higher than U.S.
U.S. averages $454 on booze compared with $813 here.

U.S. averages $454 on booze compared with $813

Housing, transportation, food also much higher in Boston-area

While incomes are higher in Massachusetts compared to other states, so are spending rates. Boston-area households spent an average of 28 percent more in 2011-2012 than the average level for the typical U.S. household, according to new government statistics.

Housing costs were the largest outlay, accounting for nearly 32 percent of the total budget for Boston-area households, which spent an average of $64,982 per year in 2011-2012.

At 14.8 percent of the total budget, transportation was the second largest expenditure area for Boston-area households, according to the New England office of the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Of the $9,610 in annual transportation spending among area households, 90.7 percent was spent buying and maintaining private vehicles. The remaining 9.3 percent was spent on public transportation, compared to a 6.1 percent average for the nation.

The bureau also reported that the average share of the Boston-area consumer’s budge that was spent on food was 13.2 percent, close to the national average of 12.9 percent, and that Boston households spent more on alcohol, $813, than the national average of $454.


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.