Barnstable Police Statement on Dog Bite Incident

Officer follows "trail of blood" through PetSmart after pit bull attacks groomer...
Wikimedia Commons photo of "American Pit Bull Terrier" (Not the actual dog that attacked the PetSmart employee)

From the Barnstable Police Department:


On Wednesday, December 27, 2017, at approximately 1115 hours, the Barnstable Police received a report of a dog bite at Pet Smart in Hyannis. Upon arrival, Patrolman Doug Palmer found a trail of blood leading from the grooming area, through the customer aisle and training area, around the corner and into the employee lounge. In the lounge, officers found a 22 year old Pet Smart employee being treated by co-workers for multiple bite wounds. As a result of the severity of the injuries - described as bite wounds to her upper torso, wrist and hand, as well as extensive tearing of the flesh, possible broken bones and a suspected dislocated shoulder - Hyannis Fire Department Rescue also responded to the scene.

The victim stated that the owner of the dog, a Pit Bull mix, brought him in wearing a muzzle, requesting that he be groomed. When asked about the muzzle, the owner simply told the employees that the dog had previously attacked another dog, and stated that the dog was “sweet as can be,” while failing to disclose that he had also attacked a person, which Pet Smart states would have resulted in services being declined. The victim stated that store policy required that the muzzle be removed in the grooming area, and that the owner was informed.

During the grooming process, while the dog was being moved, for no apparent reason and without warning, the dog attacked the victim and would not let go of her arm. Co-workers utilized an air horn and special spray, but were not able to deter the dog, until they were able to physically extract the victim’s arm from the jaws of the dog. They secured the dog in a kennel cage and brought the victim to the employee lounge.

Due to the severity of the victim’s injuries, Hyannis Fire Department Rescue stabilized her at the scene, transported her to Cape Cod Hospital, and she was later flown to Brigham & Women’s Hospital in Boston for treatment. Her condition at this time is not known.

Following this incident, the dog, per state policy, was released to the owner and ordered to be kept under in-house quarantine for ten (10) days, and the Town of Sandwich Police and Animal Control were notified. welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on