West Barnstable Fire Responds to Spontaneous Combustion Event

Caused by improper disposal of polyurethane...
Firefighters extinguish a spontaneous combustion fire in town Tuesday morning. (WBFD photo)

From West Barnstable Fire Department:

Spontaneous Combustion Fire: This morning the WBFD responded to this outside fire on Acorn Drive.

This was the fourth fire the WBFD has responded to in recent years caused by spontaneous combustion of polyurethane that was improperly disposed of. In this case, everyone got lucky and the trash bag was outside.

In another case, the house was destroyed, and in two cases the there was damage to the house.

FOLLOW the DISPOSAL INSTRUCTIONS on the CAN. The threat of fire is real.


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.