Barbeque grill fire sends one to hospital with facial burns

Yarmouth Fire Department is investigating
A Yarmouth firefighter extinguishes a grill fire at a home in Yarmouth Tuesday. Photo by David G. Curran.

SOUTH YARMOUTH - One person was transported to Cape Cod Hospital after being injured in a barbeque grill fire around noon on Tuesday.  The fire broke out at the entrance to a garage attached to a home at 9 Janice Road in South Yarmouth. Neighbors had called 911 to report a grill explosion, according to the Yarmouth Fire Department.

Prior to multiple units arriving on scene, Yarmouth Police Sgt. Chris McEachern extinguished the fire with a handheld extinguisher, preventing the fire from spreading to the home.

The victim reportedly sustains burns to his face.  According to a Yarmouth fire release, the sole occupant of the home had been trying to burn cardboard in a small open grill with gasoline. When he attempted to light the cardboard, the gasoline vapors exploded spreading fire to surrounding  trash and a small gas can.

The Yarmouth Fire Department has ruled the fire accidental.

The victim's condition is unknown.

CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.