Mashpee Man Suffers Burn While Putting Out Mattress Fire

Cause of fire believed to be a candle...
(Mashpee Firefighters photo)

Mashpee, MA - One man was injured after a mattress caught fire at 56 Canonchet Avenue in Mashpee early Sunday morning.

Reports from the scene indicate that a mattress caught fire in the basement of the residence, possibly caused by an open candle.  A young male occupant of the basement suffered a second degree burn to his hand but was able to extinguish the fire with the assistance of police officers who responded.  Smoke detectors alerted the occupants to the fire, underscoring the importance of having functioning smoke detectors with fresh batteries.

There were a total of three occupants in the home at the time of the fire. [Reader reports four people and four dogs displaced.  Also reports that the fire was started by a laptop charger.]

Mashpee fire officials are investigating the incident.


CapeCodToday.com welcomes thoughtful comments and the varied opinions of our readers. We are in no way obligated to post or allow comments that our moderators deem inappropriate. We reserve the right to delete comments we perceive as profane, vulgar, threatening, offensive, racially-biased, homophobic, slanderous, hateful or just plain rude. Commenters may not attack or insult other commenters, readers or writers. Commenters who persist in posting inappropriate comments will be banned from commenting on CapeCodToday.com.